Thursday, May 10, 2007

Away in Japan and Korea

Sorry I was away for holiday in Hokkaido, Japan and Seoul and didn't update the sites for a while. Today, I feel like writing so here it goes.

I was in Hokkaido for about 6 days and 1 day in Seoul. I wasn't really keen initially to visit Japan but since I did not travel overseas last year so I decided to join my regular group for this trip. It was raining and cold in HKDO and we saw small hail about the size of a read bean. When it landed on the ground, it evaporates quickly. This time of the year, it should be spring time but because of the world weather change, it was reported that it's for the first time in 18 years, it still "snow" in HKDO, according to our tour guide. HKDO is quiet and I like the peaceful and serenity. It's clean and you hardly see rubbish bins around (there's reason for it - terrorism) People are really polite. Me and my friends were in a departmental store waiting for another group of friends who went upstairs looking for man's clothings so we sat on a bench next to a lift. As there isn't enough seat, a male staff bought a chair for us. This is how courteous and helpful Japanese are. Never come across such service in any country at all. I fall in love with Japan now and next destination would be to Tokyo. HKDO does not have many historial sites so this trip is just eating and shopping for makan (tit-bits). We thought we could see the sakura but again weather changes, the flower will be in bloom a week after we left. I returned from the trip on 2nd May. Saw some lavendar in the greenhouse. If you want to see it covering hills and hills away, visit is around July. Just like the tulip in Holland, you will like the view and smell. Things are expensive in HKDO, a simple meal would cost you abt 1,000 yen and that is approximately S$12.90 We bought small portion of makan from stall and tried it and mostly it's seafood. Chocolate seems to the favourites amongst the Japanese as wherever you go, you see chocolates boutiques. I found Royce at abt half the price compared to Singapore so I bought quite a fair bit. Me and my husband loves chocolates and that's all I bought for this Japan trip. Tit-bits are also price around 1,000yen, no particular souvenir to buy except lavendar products (skin/body care). Not even keychains because is usually the japanese cartoon characters. Japan trip cost me extra 2 kg of body weight. Now have to watch my diet. Seafood is abundant and must try their crabs. It's eaten cold and it's good. I tried the raw scallop and it's no difference from cooked. The small melon, cost S$7 but it sweet eventhough the meat is not really red in color. It's worth to buy and try the local food so you know how good japanese food are.

No comments: